My book Fountain of Youth is the 2016 Vine Leaves Vignette Collection Award Semi-Finalist.
I am an Honorary Fellow in Writing at Iowa University’s International Writing Program (IWP), USA. In 2015, I became a member of the board of trustees for Kuwait’s Cultural Circle Prize for the Arabic Short Story (Almultaqa), the Arab world’s first international award for short story collections in Arabic.
I’ve written and performed “>me (greater than me)” for TEDxAl-Shuwaikh, which was hosted by Kuwait Institute for Scientific Research (KISR) in March 2016. In the same year I won a MENA Salam fellowship from World Peace Initiative Foundation’s Peace Revolution to meditate with Buddhist monks in Turkey. My article “Every Child Deserves a Home: Zeina Al-Sultan Unveils the Truths Behind Adoption in Kuwait” won en.v earth’s Voice of Success program in 2012.
My fiction, nonfiction and poetry have been published in The Norton Anthology of Hint Fiction, Economic and Political Weekly, Fanack Chronicle of the Middle East & North Africa, The Operating System, Sukoon, The Indianola Review, and more.
I also write for young adults and children.
2016 Vine Leaves Vignette Collection Award Semi-Finalist
Genre: Single Author Poetry & Prose Collection
Concerned with endings, resonances, and aftermaths, Fountain of Youth explores the mediation of an Arab female poet on the brink of change, documenting moments of transformation from adolescence to adulthood, from the immature stage of a mental disorder to its mature form, and from post-colonial conditions which led to the creation of a comfortable welfare state to globalization and its repercussions.
Specifically, Fountain of Youth questions what it means to be human after the global triumph of neoliberalism—and how our revision will help us rethink our ideas about youth/growth in the Middle East.
Upcoming / Announcements
- 23 February: Voices and Verses. My book Fountain of Youth will be available for sale. Come say hi and get a terrible autograph — really, I write the worst ones.
- ?? March: INK+Paint An Experiment. Stay tuned for the showcase… More
- 8 March: Performance at al-Shaheed park, Abolish Article 153. Details soon.
- 9 March: Performance and talk at New English School (NES). Private event.
- 24 March: Voices & Verses. I will be performing a new piece and signing and selling copies of Fountain of Youth.
- 4-6 April: Biennial Literary Festival, American University of Kuwait (AUK). Details soon.
- 17-20 April: Gulf University for Science and Technology’s English Language and Literature Conference (GELL Conference). Details soon.
Get exclusive content, gifts, and more.